I have spending quite a bit of time recently playing with Microsoft’s Office365. I have been interested in how to manage the DNS records in my linux DNS to support Office365. For example, I wanted to access my Office365 email, Lync server, and Sharepoint via my specified hostnames as defined in my DNS. Email was simple enough. Setting up these records got the email to my domain directed properly, and I was able to use auto discover to configure my iPhone, android device and desktop computer email clients easily. I have listed the key records below:

mydomain.com. 360 IN TXT “v=spf1 include:outlook.com ~all”

$ORIGIN mydomain.com.
@ IN MX 0 mydomain-com.mail.eo.outlook.com.
ms49911282 IN CNAME ps.microsoftonline.com.
autodiscover IN CNAME autodiscover.outlook.com.

Lync presented a bit more of challenge. And I found several sources on the Internet of people trying to get the records set up properly, but all of them seemed to have something wrong. Ultimately, these are the records that I had to add to access my Office365 Lync server. The lesson learned from setting these records should help records that Active Directory requires that I have never had occasion to look at before.

_sip._tls IN SRV 100 1 443 sipdir.online.lync.com.
_sipfederationtls._tcp IN SRV 100 1 5061 sipfed.online.lync.com.

Sharepoint is giving me a bit of an issue that I have been trying to address with Microsoft, but they have been less than responsive. I hope this is not how small businesses can expect to be treated by Microsoft when this product goes live. It would certainly cause me to reconsider what I otherwise think is a pretty good product. Anyway, I believe I have the records defined properly, but I cannot verify them because I am unable to enable Sharepoint Online in my domain properties or intent ( I have added a screen shot of the issue at the bottom of this post.).

My company records (Sharepoint site):
sharepoint IN CNAME mycompany.sharepoint.com.
sp IN CNAME mycompany.sharepoint.com.

My public records (public Sharepoint site):
sharepoint-pub IN CNAME ProdNet11.SharePointOnline.com.
sp-pub IN CNAME ProdNet11.SharePointOnline.com.

I will update this when, I finally hear something from Microsoft.

Unable to enable Sharepoint

Here are the DNS settings as documented in Office365 for mydomain.com. This is the information Microsoft provides to help you add the appropriate records:

Office365 DNS Settings

Update 1/10/2012:
While trying out the Lync client on my iPhone, I discovered that I was missing another DNS record to support Lync server auto-discovery. I just needed to add the following record to my DNS:

lyncdiscover IN CNAME webdir.online.lync.com.

This allowed iPhone Lync clients to use the auto detect server feature. I suspect that this was needed for other clients too, since I had to set it up manually before. I am going to try this on MacOS later to see if that works better too.